Maine CUs’ Annual Campaign for Ending Hunger
More than 40% of Maine kids under the age of 12 show some evidence of hunger
Statistics on Hunger in Maine
- 68,950 Maine children are food insecure
- New data shows that 15% of Maine households, representing 200,000 people, experience food insecurity. Maine ranks 13th in the nation in food insecurity and first in New England. In addition, a new report from the Good Shepherd Food Bank found that nearly 40,000 people a week were being provided with food assistance from one of its 640 member agencies. This is double what was originally estimated.
- Hunger and the risk of hunger are widespread among Maine’s low-income families with children
- The likelihood of experiencing hunger or the risk of hunger is directly related to income
- Children living in households which experienced hunger or the risk of hunger are more likely to experience health or school-related problems.
- Several groups are found to be at greater risk of hunger in Maine; children, adults in low income families, disabled persons, persons with special needs, the elderly, those living in rural regions and the inner cities of Maine’s largest urban places.
- Several factors contribute to hunger in Maine; including income growth that is outpaced by cost of living; high level of underemployment; widening gap between rich and poor; illiteracy; and lack of consumer information on nutrition.
You’re what making a difference looks like!
Links to Third Party Sites
You are now leaving Lincoln Maine Federal Credit Union's ("LMFCU") website and linking to a website not owned or operated by LMFCU. Links to other Web Sites/e-mail addresses are provided solely as a convenience. LMFCU has no control over the content of these sites; and LMFCU shall have no responsibility or liability relating to any access to such sites or communications between you and such Third-Parties. LMFCU’s privacy disclosures do not apply to linked Third-Party websites, and we advise you to consult the privacy disclosures on the linked Third-Party website for further information.
LMFCU’s website may also contain links to other websites owned, operated by, or affiliated with LMFCU ("Affiliated Sites"). Affiliated Sites are also not governed by LMFCU’s privacy or other policies; and you are advised to review the privacy disclosures applicable to each Affiliated Site you visit.
Products/ Services Offered by Third-Parties / Affiliates: Any products or services ("products") which are provided by third parties or affiliates are not products of LMFCU. If the purchase of same is facilitated by or through LMFCU financing such is merely a convenience to the borrower(s) and in no way, creates any contractual or other relationship between the borrower(s) and LMFCU with regard to any such products. Any rights, obligations or claims with regard to such products shall be solely and exclusively by and between you and the third party providing such products as may be set forth in any applicable contracts, agreements or otherwise, and LMFCU shall have no obligations, responsibilities, duties, or liabilities whatsoever regarding same. By continuing to the site, you acknowledge and agree to this policy.